Thursday, December 4, 2008

The conference

So today is thursday and I am overwhelmed. There are so many things of interest to me and my time here is so finite that I cannot experience them all. Unfortunately i think I've decided to dismiss many of the topics up for discussion here in order to commit to the cap and trade and mitigation strategies, a.k.a. the economics behind the solution, so that I can develop a firm understanding of the discussion. I have been spending a lot of time at the negotiations and was actually able to get on the big screen when I was sitting behind the Saudi Arabia delegate when it was his turn to speak.

As i am in the unique position of being a part of ithaca's Model United Nations and will be debating these exact topics at Harvard in February, I made the very akward decision to walk into Italy's, the country we will be representing, office to ask about their positions. Hopefully they will get back to me soon but I feel that because I am so limited with my time, there is no way that they will be able to consider me this week.

The most beneficial part of being here is that after spending so much time with the theories and paperwork behind solving Climate Change in the classes offered at school, this is a very grounding experience that has introduced me to the "real world" solutions, rather than abstract and idealistic ideas.

No comments: