Friday, December 5, 2008

BIOCHAR and Cornell

Hello Friends!

I just went to a FANTASTIC side event on Bio-Char presented by Professor Johannes Lehmann from Cornell University's Ag School! He is the Chair of The International Bio-Char Initiative, and the top Bio-Char scientist in the US and perhaps the world!

It was a fascinating presentation, and really seemed like a win-win-win idea for mitigating climate change, improving soil quality, and improving quality of life. I introduced myself afterwards as an IC student and told him I'll be graduating in 2 weeks with a Biology degree. I also told him that I noted his publications from the presentation and plan to immediately go online and read them (which I'm doing right after this).

He gave me his card and asked me to please e-mail him when we return to the States! He has weekly meetings about Bio-Char. Here's his bio... very impressive!
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann.html

This trip could not have come at a better time for me. I'm about to be a fresh graduate, originally with no defined area of interest, and now I know 15 things I want to do (and networks for all of them)!

Patrick

No comments: